Friday, July 15, 2011

Lessons My Apartment Taught Me

Lessons From the Apt.

1. Big bugs that refuse to die make me scream.
2. This world is not my home.

I’ll be delving into the latter of the lessons, needless to say.

All my life I’ve lived in the same house. Same street, address, bedroom, front yard, trees… Everything was cozy, familiar, &, in a word, home.

Then, I moved.

I had wanted to move out on my own & get my 1st little apartment for some time & after praying about it {a lot}, I felt it was the right time & place & I took the plunge. It was, in fact, a real head-under-the-water experience. I was expecting amazing freedom, adventure, & true carpe-diem-ness…with perhaps a cute guy next door mixed in {a forever sleepover feel}. What I got wasn’t that, so much. I got instead: grocery bills, lone ranger clean-ups, utility costs, wonderment as to whether my neighbors are psychedelic mushroom eaters, leaky faucets, mutant insects, loneliness, & maintenance men.

“But our citizenship is in heaven. And we eagerly await a Savior from there, the Lord Jesus Christ, who, by the power that enables Him to bring everything under His control, will transform our lowly bodies so that they will be like His glorious body.” –Philippians 3:20-21 NIV

Now, I don’t want you to think that I’m so foolish as to have not considered such things before I signed my lease. I had – well, except for maybe the mushroom thing {I wasn’t that specific}. Anyways, it’s still tougher & less sleepover-ish than I dreamed. I feel a need to call my mom & tell her my plans every time I’m about to go to the store… in other words, this freedom thing is hard for me to get. Plus, I can’t just go down the hall & chat with my mom anytime, either. It’s lonely to live alone. Who’d of guessed?

“But our homeland is in heaven, & we are waiting for our Savior, the Lord Jesus Christ, to come from heaven. By His power to rule all things, He will change our simple bodies & make them like His own glorious body.” –Philippians 3:20-21 NCV

Even though I’ve looked forward to decorating my own place for forever, & I’ve finally gotten around to most of it – my apartment still doesn’t feel like home… & you know what, that just may be a good – no, great – thing. God is using my crazy little abode to remind me that this world & all its huts, castles, cottages, igloos {actually I think I read no one really ever lived in those – bummer for all my Eskimo dreams}, bungalows, tepees, & houses one-&-all are not our true homes. For those of us who belong to Christ, our true home is Heaven. I’m so glad.


Love,
-Bess-

I'm taking it back old school style! =)



1 comment:

Hey! Thanks so much for stopping by Bess' Bag - I love these "little visits!" Feel free to leave your respectful insight here... =)