Thursday, July 18, 2013

Creativity Link Up With 'The Circle'


1. What does creativity mean to you?
Webster’s defines creativity as “the act of being creative” & creative’s definition as “marked by the ability or power to create.” So, basically, Webster {I love that we’re on such cozy terms}, what you’re saying is it’s elusive. I agree. How do you define such an enigma? It’s like trying to photograph the Loch Ness Monster; as soon as she surfaces {for the briefest of milliseconds} & you click your camera, she vanishes & all you get a shot of is Nessie’s ripple effect on the surface. You start to wonder if you saw anything at all. Creativity is not a mathematical-problem-equals-one-answer all the time kind of a word. It’s, for want of simplicity, many things. It’s right brain at its best. It’s forming something new – words, stories, paintings, songs, sculptures, signage, landscaping, architecture, cuisine… & the list can {& does} go on {& on}. You take tools {either God given or human wrought} & you make – music, collages, operas, plays, gardens, poems, sidewalk chalk art, wedding cakes, graphic design, gnarly walking sticks… &, again, the list can {& does} go on.

And, the greatest artist & creator of all time, was also the first. God is the very author of creativity. “In the beginning God created the heavens & the earth.” That’s the first sentence of the Bible. He formed the sun’s great orb & all the glittering stars, each rolling hill & craggy mountaintop, butterflies’ wings & the craters on the moon, & us, right out of the dust. Humble beginnings many might say, but even dust in the hands of the Creator King is magnificent. Our creations will never come close to His.


Michelangelo Says
2. How do you stay creative? Who do you draw inspiration from?
Inspiration is an equally indefinable commodity & comes in all forms. It reaches me through the veins in a leaf, another’s works, a fresh paint palette… it spontaneously combusts into being, at times, & like a phoenix vanishes again in the flames. It sometimes feels elusive & out of reach, but as Maya Angelou puts it,
Maya Says
P.S.: I'm inspired by blogs, too {of course}, & have recently started a series of posts where I show crafty things I've created based on others' DIYs {click here for that}.

3. What is a creative part of you that you don't share much on your blog (i.e. a talent, hobby, activity, passion, etc.)?

Well, secrets, huh? I have a real love for the written word - & yearn to be a published author, but then again you may already know that if you’ve read my blog for a while. I’ve been working on various stories this summer. One I’ve had in the works for years & then a new one. But, writing is tough work & I’m not the best lately at forcing myself to sit & write.

I love to sing, too, but I’m absolutely scared silly to let anyone hear. In my ears I sound pretty good, & I’d like to keep it that way, & not muddle that with the truth. =) Singing praise songs & other contemporary Christian tunes was my love when I was a teenager. A lot of times I was home alone & I would crank up the radio & sing my little heart out. At those times I experienced some of the richest moments of joy in simply being with God & praising Him. It’s been hard to experience those moments since I moved into my apartment – even though I’m alone a lot, I’m worried that cranking up my radio & singing loud will bother my neighbors!

Let's get creative!
-Bess-

P.S.: Linked up with:

Check it out!

4 comments:

  1. This was fun to read! You have a flair for writing and I look forward to exploring your blog more!

    And thanks so much for your sweet comment! Yes, I do believe we are kindred spirits indeed! :)

    Elena

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your definition of creativity! It's definitely a word packed my many, many meanings and I love that you pointed your definition to God; who is most definitely the first AND greatest Creator out there. :)

    p.s. I'm also with you on singing and writing! I would love to be an author (and have wanted to be one since I was in first or second grade) and I also like to sing when no one can hear me. Singing in the shower is my performance stage of choice! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that you included a print from Lara Casey in your collage :) She is one of my role models and such an inspiration! And the quote is so fitting, "You should go do them." We should! Absolutely, we should get up and go DO. Thanks for linking up with us and sharing, girl!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loved this post! :)
    P.s. i went to reply to your email and realized you're a no-reply blogger! :( That means when you comment you can't receive replies via email from the other bloggers.
    Go here, http://kaybellaa.blogspot.com/2012/04/blogging-101-no-reply-bloggers.html and she explains everything. Let me know when it works by commenting on mine and then I will email ya back and voila!!

    ReplyDelete

Hey! Thanks so much for stopping by Bess' Bag - I love these "little visits!" Feel free to leave your respectful insight here... =)