Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Emily in Autumn + Seasonal Tutorial

Emily in Autumn


The name -- of it -- is "Autumn" --
The hue -- of it -- is Blood --
An Artery -- upon the Hill --
A Vein -- along the Road --


Great Globules -- in the Alleys --
And Oh, the Shower of Stain --
When Winds -- upset the Basin --
And spill the Scarlet Rain --


It sprinkles Bonnets -- far below --
It gathers ruddy Pools --
Then -- eddies like a Rose -- away --
Upon Vermilion Wheels --




Besides the Autumn poets sing
A few prosaic days
A little this side of the snow
And that side of the Haze --


A few incisive Mornings --
A few Ascetic Eves --
Gone -- Mr. Bryant's "Golden Rod" --
And Mr. Thomson's "sheaves."


Still, is the bustle in the Brook --
Sealed are the spicy valves --
Mesmeric fingers softly touch
The Eyes of many Elves --


Perhaps a squirrel may remain --
My sentiments to share --
Grant me, Oh Lord, a sunny mind --
Thy windy will to bear!




Autumn -- overlooked my Knitting --
Dyes -- said He -- have I --
Could disparage a Flamingo --
Show Me them -- said I --


Cochineal -- I chose -- for deeming
It resemble Thee --
And the little Border -- Dusker --
For resembling Me --




No Autumn's intercepting Chill
Appalls this Tropic Breast --
But African Exuberance
And Asiatic rest.




The morns are meeker than they were,
The nuts are getting brown,
The berry's cheek is plumper —
The Rose is out of town.


The maple wears a gayer scarf,
The field a scarlet gown —
Lest I sh'd be old-fashioned,
I'll put a trinket on.

Autumn Trinkets

Emily Dickinson is one of my favorite poets!  The last poem (above) is my dearest pick out of all her fall verses (not to mention the inspiration for today's tutorial).  Emily was uniqueness to the core, with many unusual habits such as her signature use of dashes (-) in her writings, as well as her lack of titles.  Most of her poems were not titled; today we simply use the poem's 1st line as a way of identifying it.  There's also her alleged terrible shyness & fondness for white dresses that leave a shroud of mystery around her person.  It seems strange indeed (& sad), that in her day Emily was little known, but today her name is so deeply connected to that of 'poetry.'



Emily Dickinson Puzzle - Click Here
Dickinson Poetry Quiz - Click Here
For More On Emily - Click Here     




Emily's Trinket - Headband Tutorial

Supplies:
-headband
-ribbon (I chose brown to resemble a twig)
-hot glue
-silk flower fall leaves (I found a bag of about 100 at my fav store ($ Tree))
-button

Instructions:
-Wrap your headband with ribbon.  Start at one end (hot glue to secure), wrapping tightly with a slight overlap so none of the original headband material shows through. 
-Add an array of the faux autumn leaves to your headband.  Put on your headband & try out the positioning of your leaves before hot gluing.
-Hot glue your button to cover the ends of your leaves.  You could also use ribbon, a scrap of fabric or lace, a rhinestone, bead, etc.  I really wanted to add an acorn charm, but alas I couldn't find one. 

Voila, there you have it - the 'Emily's Trinket' headband!  No need to feel upstaged (or "old fashioned"=) by Ms. Autumn again.  I think Miss Dickinson would approve.   

Love (in all its Beautiful Poetry),
-Bess-

5 comments:

  1. You better believe I'm buying that book! The way you gave a mini summary of her made me want to know more about her. (And since I'm a poet... (hehe))

    I find it funny (& quite awesome) how I sorta get the "first look" of your polyvores you put on your blog! Haha, that's sweet ;)

    I love the headband. I will totally try this. Oh, and I know where you can get an acorn. It's a part of a [cute] necklace @ Walmart. It's $5. If you go to The Creative Daisy tomorrow (wed), I'll wear it with one of my outfits & post it. But I think it might be too cute to rip apart.

    love ya!

    P.S. hmmm, I'm thinking it was Divine Intervention [is that what it's called?] that Israel thing :)
    P.P.S Does Emily do it like this... -Emily- ? If so Miss -Bess-, I just might copy :)
    Love,
    -Amber-

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely love Emily Dickinson!!! Is it not interesting that she, for the most part of her later life, was a recluse?! And yet, she spent her time wisely enough:)

    I'll tell you how the sun rose-
    A ribbon at at time...~Sunrise and Sunset

    I never saw a moor,
    I never saw the sea,
    Yet know I how the heather looks
    Or what a wave must be.

    I never spoke with God,
    Nor visited Him in heaven,
    Yet certain am I of the spot
    As if the chart be given...~Chartless

    I am very fond of her works; I especially like the line that you emphasized!
    I do hope you are having a lovely day, dearest friend filled with those *wink*:)
    Lots of Love to you,
    Grace
    P.S. I have been missing you, dear sis, but hope that the Lord is blessing you in your daily life!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute headband! I love poetry, too, but truthfully, Emily isn't one of my favourite poets (I prefer Milton and Tennyson), but I do find her use of dashes interesting!

    With love,
    Annie

    PS. I love the Corrie ten Boom quotes on your sidebar!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a nice headband! Thank you for sharing the tutorial, dear friend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Actually, I changed my mind about Emily. Her poetry is great...but I don't agree with beliefs. Just another thought :)

    Annie

    ReplyDelete

Hey! Thanks so much for stopping by Bess' Bag - I love these "little visits!" Feel free to leave your respectful insight here... =)